Thursday, January 16, 2014

Toddler Activities!!!

My first post!! My goal is to post about once a week with 1-3 new activities for you. Here are a couple of activities we did this week.

Color/Shape Jumping:

Rowin LOVES to jump, so I thought this would be a good way to get some jumping out AND practice color/shape identification. All I did was draw shapes on paper plates using different colors for each shape. I taped all of the plates to the foor (so that he wouldn't slide around). Then I would say, "Jump on the yellow rectangle...Jump on the orange triangle...etc." He loved it! They've been taped to the floor for about a week and even if I'm not there to play with him, he likes to just run and jump all over the plates. :)



Puff Ball Tunnels:

Rowin likes any activitiy that uses colored puff balls. Not sure why, but he does. We had a few toilet paper and paper towel tubes so we decided to put them to use! I found a space on the wall (low enough for him to reach by himself) and taped the tubes to the wall in different directions, so that the balls would go through. (I used masking tape, but it didn't stick very well. Painter's tape probably would've worked better.) We put a few cups underneath to try to catch the puff balls. Rowin is two, but if you have an older child, you could have them create the design for the tubes and experiment with different ways to set it up. We tried this with marbles first but the marbles were a little too heavy. Plus they went so fast, Rowin could hardly see them!


Color Sorting:

We are working on our colors a lot over here! This is a super easy activity to help your child identify and sort different colors. I put pieces of different colored construction paper on the floor. Then I found several objects for Rowin to sort (play food, balls, cars-you could use anything!). I gave him the object and would ask him, "What color is the banana?" He would find the yellow paper and put it on top. Easy set up, easy clean up and you could switch out the objects every time you play!




2 comments:

  1. I'm such a fan of Julie and have seen how Rowin truly enjoys these creative, affordable, fun as well as educational activities. Follow this Lady! You and your child (or grandchild ) will be thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome blog! Great ideas, great instructions, lots of fun for young children. Moms and dads - share this one with your friends!

    ReplyDelete