Monday, January 27, 2014

Color Sorting in Envelopes

Here's another activity you can do, using things you already have in the house. I set this up on a wall in our dining room (which is attached to our kitchen) so it's been a great go-to while I'm washing dishes or making dinner. Super easy for a two year-old to play independently!

More Color Sorting!

I had a bag of a bunch of little pieces of scrap paper (Weird. I know. I knew they'd come in handy one day!), but for all of the normal people who don't have that on hand, just cut up a bunch of pieces of different colored paper. I did three of each color, assuming several would get lost or crumpled up.



Then, mark envelopes as all the different colors. I just glued on a strip of colored paper to each envelope. You could write the color word too, especially if your child is a little older and is starting to recognize color words. Tape the envelopes to the wall so that they still open on top. I used painter's grade masking tape, which is strong enough and won't pull your paint off. (After I glued all of my colored paper on, I realized it would have made more sense to glue them onto the back. That would've been easier for Rowin to get into the envelopes. Oh well! I wasn't about to start over!)


Drop all of the pieces on the floor and have your kiddo put them inside the matching envelopes! Model how to play first if you have younger ones. Have fun!



  

1 comment:

  1. Love this! He was so excited to show me. I like the way this activity involves the entire body as well as mind. He enjoyed walking up and down the wall and quizzing me on the colors. I DID get them right. Ha

    ReplyDelete