Saturday, October 17, 2015

Letter F

So this week, I thought, "I'm going to think of some genius idea to keep Rayna occupied." All I came up with was a paint bag (I think I've posted these on here before). Genius, probably not. But I thought, surely this would keep her occupied for a FEW minutes!


Notice how the chair is empty. As soon as Rowin sits at his table, Rayna runs over, climbs onto the other chair, and starts grabbing whatever is on the table. I give up. This girl just wants to do whatever her brother is doing.


Anyway, here's a look at our week with letter F...

Day 1:
  • Bible Story/Memory Verse (Deut. 31:6)
  • Calendar/Weather
  • Tracing Practice (same as last week)
  • Reviewed A-E and introduced F
  • Paper Plate Letter Game-I wrote different letters all around the edge of a paper plate and then cut between each letter. Rowin had to find all of the F's and fold them down. 



  • Letter Basket-Around our house, Rowin found a fish, a frog, a fire truck, a firefighter, and pictures of friends and family.



Day 2:
  • Bible Story/Memory Verse (Deut. 31:6)
  • Calendar/Weather
  • Reviewed A-F flashcards
  • Block Letter
    • Traced with his finger, saying, "Big line down, frog jump! Across the top, across the middle."
    • Filled with wooden beads

  • Writing-I learned a new method from my awesome sister-in-law, Abbey, who teaches first grade! It's from Handwriting Without Tears and reinforces the correct way to write the letter, several different ways. Here's what we did.
    • First, I wrote an F on a chalkboard, saying the verbal prompt as I wrote it. 
    • Next, Rowin erased the F with a piece of wet paper towel, going right over my lines and saying the verbal prompt as he did it.
    • Then, he did the same thing again, but erased with a DRY piece of paper towel.
    • After that, he traced over the "invisible F" with his finger.
    • Last, he wrote an F himself with the chalk.

  • Talk about reinforcing a concept! This was great! We repeated the whole process with lowercase f, using the verbal prompt, "Make a candy cane and across." For the verbal prompts, it doesn't matter so much WHAT you say. It's more important that you just say the same thing every time so that they remember how to form the letter correctly.
  • I think this activity + the salt from last week gave him a little more confidence in his writing ability because he actually wanted to do his workbook after this! Yay! :)

Day 3:
  • Bible Story/Memory Verse (Deut. 31:6)
  • Calendar/Weather
  • Reviewed A-F
  • Name practice-I gave him several letter blocks and he had to find the letters in is name and put them in order. For an extra challenge, he had to do it before Rayna sniped one of his letters. :)
  • Dot Marker Page (link for free printable on Letter A post)
  • Number Pancake Flip Game-I think I did a post about this a while back. Ro had to find the two number pancakes that matched and use his spatula to flip them into his pan.
  • Frog Craft (see previous post for link to idea site)













No comments:

Post a Comment