Monday, February 17, 2014

Number Run


We've been cooped up quite a bit lately, due to the constant blizzard, leaving me with a toddler with a lot of energy to burn. I wanted to do a game or activity that would let him run around and get some energy out so I came up with this "Number Run" game, which also serves as an introduction to number identification.

Rowin really doesn't recognize numbers yet, so I thought we'd just start with 1, 2, and 3. I wrote the numbers on different pieces of construction paper and since he doesn't know which is which yet, I also drew big dots under the numbers to help him identify them.


I taped the numbers up all around the room, far enough apart that he'd have room to run in between. We went over the three numbers and I modeled how to play. I would call out a number and he had to run and touch it. Then I'd call out another number and he'd have to run and touch that one...and so on...


Since this is a new concept for him, he got caught up in the running and just started running to whichever one he wanted and touching it. :) Haha, we'll keep practicing. At least he got some energy out!

Depending on your child's age, you could easily adapt this to practice letters, colors, shapes, or words. You could even combine two concepts (which is what I ended up doing since he needed a little help), by saying, "Touch the BLUE number 2" or "Touch the GREEN TRIANGLE". Adapt it to work on the concepts your child is learning right now.

1 comment: