Saturday, September 26, 2015

D is for Dinosaur

It occurred to me at the last minute that D is for DINOSAUR.....duh. I made some quick changes and tried to make it a dinosaur themed week. Take a look...

Day 1:
*Bible Story/Memory Verse
*Calendar/Weather
*Reviewed A-C and introduced D
*Dino Race to the D's (The dinosaurs had to find all of the D's.)



*D Basket (He found the following items around our house that start with D: dog, dump truck, digger, drink, duck, drum stick, dollar.)

*Pumpkin Letter Puzzle-I put all of the letter pieces from a puzzle into a Halloween basket. Ro picked out the letters and put them in the right spot on the puzzle.
Day 2:
*Bible Story/Memory Verse
*Calendar/Weather
*Flashcards A-D
*Block Letter-First he traced it with his finger, saying the verbal prompt, "Big line down, frog jump, big curve." Then he filled it in with dinosaurs.

*Writing
I modeled how to write capital D's using the above prompt. Then I wrote several (good and bad) examples and he practiced tracing in his workbook. I repeated the same process for lowercase d's, using the verbal prompt, "Around, bump the top, bump the bottom"-every single time.

*Dino Dig-I hid ten dinosaurs in a bin full of rice and Rowin had to dig around and find them.

Day 3:
*Bible Story/Memory Verse
*Calendar/Weather
*Name Practice-I had cut out the letters in his name using felt. Then I traced them onto another piece of felt with permanent marker. He had to fill in the letters like a puzzle.

*Reviewed A-D flashcards
*Dot Dino Page-we used sparkly circle stickers this week instead of dot markers
(Free printable from The Measured Mom)

*Dog House Craft-I cut the D so that the middle opened and closed like a door. He made the paw prints around the D with finger paint and painted the inside of the "dog house".
(Idea from Crystal & Co)

Other Dinosaur Activities:

*Make Dinosaur Feet-These are cute! You slip your foot through the slit and wear them-I forgot to get a pic of them on. We made these for Rowin and his cousins because he's having a small dino family birthday party in a few weeks. :)
(We didn't use this, but here's a free printable for these: http://coolest-free-printables.com/2013/02/03/large-printable-dinosaur-feet/)

*Dinosaur Plate Craft-Cut a paper plate in half, have your kiddo decorate it however they like, and then add the dinosaur body parts (I cut ours out ahead of time).
You can click here to see where I found these ideas: Brachiosaurus and T-Rex

*Dinosaur Books-I found this GREAT list of dinosaur books at our public library! I was going to write them all out for you but there are about 100. Sorry. Just go to your library. :)


We read dinosaur books pretty much every single day, but this one worked particularly well with what we learned this week: ABC T-Rex by Bernard Most. It goes through the whole alphabet, and every page has several items in the picture that start with the corresponding letter.

*If your kiddo doesn't care for dinosaurs, you could easily trade out everything we did this week and do dogs instead.

*If your kiddo IS into dinosaurs and you missed some of my other dinosaur related posts, check out my July/August 2015 posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment